Some Commonly Used Phrases in Legal Documents (2)
1. Provided that
The usage of this phrase is very similar to “if” or “but”. If it is put in the beginning of a sentence, it constitutes a conditional clause meaning “if”. Where there is the main clause before this phrase, it is equivalent to “with the exception of” meaning “but”.
1) Provided that the acceptance of rent by the Landlord after the expiration of the term of the tenancy hereby created shall not be deemed to operate as a waiver or breach of any of the terms hereof nor as a new periodic tenancy by way of holding over or otherwise.
2) Either Party may transfer all or part of its registered capital contribution to the Company to any third party, provided that it first obtains the unanimous approval of the Board and the approval of the Approval Authority and complies with the provisions of this Article.
There are two usages of this word. One is to lead conditional clause meaning “if”, the other is to lead adverbial clause meaning “in the case where”.
1) Where an employee is granted any period of annual leave, the employer shall pay him annual leave pay in respect of that period not later than the day on which he is next paid his wages after that period.
2) Where a contract is ratified by virtue of this section, the person who purported to act for or on behalf of the company in making the contract shall not thereafter under any greater liability than he would have been if he had entered into the contract on behalf of the company as an agent acting without its authority and after its incorporation.
Read Also: Adverbial Clauses in legal translation
3. For the purpose of
1) For the purposes of sections 79B and 79C, a provision of any kind mentioned in paragraph 30(1) of the Tenth Schedule, other than one in respect of a diminution in value of a fixed asset appearing on a revaluation of all the fixed assets of the company, or of all of its fixed assets other than goodwill, is treated as a realized loss.
就第 79B 及 79C 条而言，附表 10 第 30(1) 段所述的任何种类的准备金，均视为已实现亏损，但就公司所有固定资产或除商誉外的所有固定资产作出价值重估时所出现的固定资产减值而提供的准备金则除外。
2) For the purpose of this law, “invention-creation” means inventions, utility models and designs.
Are you looking for Legal Industry Translation? We are here for your assistance.
Take a look at how we helped our client by localizing their project for Legal Industry Translation. Click here to read the complete case study
Need a translation service?
Please enter your personal details and we will contact you shortly
Words translated by CCJK146,096,379
Over 95% of our clients recommend our language services to others