On the one hand, it is common that there are converting among different formats in translation industry. Meanwhile, there are more or less problems after converting; On the other hand, if the target documents don’t need to be printed, clients don’t want to do DTP in order to save cost. Then, what should we do?
Take converting from DPF to Word as an example. Rechecking all the contents and format is necessary before translation with translation tool. If not, it costs much more time to do editing after translation.
The only way for rechecking with less cost is to improve our skills and speed.
Problems and solutions about format:
- Page breaks should be added at the end of each page in case the format mess after translation.
- Check the order of contents. Converting always changes the order from “read down” into “read across” in some place of the page unexpectedly. Solution: you can select one column a time in a page to check order and correct it compared with PDF when find it.
- Check extra “Enter” at the end of each line and delete them compare with PDF.
- Check extra “Space” before or after website and delete compare with PDF.
- Check extra “Hyphen” and delete them accordingly (You can use “Ctrl + F” to search all the Hyphens without missing.).
Problems and solutions about contents:
- Check website, special characters like Italian or French character in English files, words with color, words in bold and italics. Then revise them if needed compared with PDF.
- Check the total line in case there are contents missing for every paragraph.
- If the target is Chinese, there may be extra “Space” at the end of every sentence. You can use “Chinese full stop + Space” to replace “Chinese full stop”.
- If the target is Chinese, the font of Quotation marks, Colon, Semicolon will still keep in English font. You can use “Replace” to solve the problems all together quickly: firstly, copy and paste the sign into “Find what”; secondly, put the “cursor” in “Replace with”; thirdly, change the font into Chinese font for both “Asian text font” and “Latin text font”; fourthly, replace all.
- Checks if there are missing words or extra words for the part keeping in source.
CCJK is always on the way to pursuit excellence on offering translation with high quality and delivery translated files on time. We make summary if needed after job finished and always try our best to find new way to improve our services.