Some Notes for English Translation
When we are doing the English translation, we should pay attention to it’s principles and methods. Here’s some notes for English translation:
1. General principles: (1) translation should not only be faithful to the original, but also meet the Chinese habit.
(2) Translation should not be too discerning. Feelings, stereotyped form of language translation of the original due to sticking to the detriment of the original ideological content. Good translation should be unity of form and content.
(3) Try not to literal translation.
(4) The translation process should be understanding firstly and expression secondly.
2. English writing features combined with an overall understanding of the language. First of all, English is usually topic sentence for the first sentence of the paragraph, and then expand the description.
Expand the wording of a variety, can be divided into the total, can be defined, can be tautological, you can refer to other complex pronouns. With this technique, first read the text, will be able to better understand the meaning of the article, to grasp the relationship between segments, in the translation can be determined in the context meaning, thereby performing accurate translation.
Read Also: Translation skills of English Preposition
Secondly, in particular :
(a) understanding of the word law from the idea, and vocabulary words with the relationship between the logical relationships and other aspects.
(2) the sentence can be understood from the internal logic of the sentence, affiliation between the components of grammar and sentence composition, etc. to achieve.
(3) For a long sentence, can use the following translation: Linear translation: translation in accordance with the original order. Reversed order method: doing the translation in reverse order.
Repetition: Repeat the previous word. Division translation: a sentence to translate into several parts. Brackets method: in the translation and interpretation in brackets after the description. Comprehensive method: the integrated use of these above various methods.
Take a look at how we helped our client by localizing their project for English language. Click here to read the complete case study
3. Expression. After the correct understanding of the original, but also through the appropriate translation skills using standardized Chinese expression. These techniques include:
(1) Amplification: Accordingly add some words, such as nouns.
(2) Omission. According to Chinese usage, deleting some words.
(3) transformation, a noun into a verb or a verb translated into a noun.
(4) Synectics method. A long sentence can be translated into a number of parts, or the original sentence with a few simple sentences express.
(5) Ellipsis method: because there are some differences between Chinese and English, the expression will not always be equipotent, then you can omit some of the words and sentence elements, for example, there’re articles in English while not in Chinese, then there’s no need to translate articles to Chinese.
Need a translation service?
Please enter your personal details and we will contact you shortly
Words translated by CCJK146,096,379
Over 95% of our clients recommend our language services to others