Understanding the Differences between Translation and Transcription
What’s the key to success for global businesses? Effective communication! Companies aspiring to tap into foreign markets need the services of translation and transcription to convey their message effectively. The purpose of both these services is the same, seamless communication, but they also have some differences. Let’s define the translation and transcription process first, then check their differences.
What is Translation
The translation is the process of changing written content from one language to another. This word is taken from the Latin verb translates and old French verb translator. To translate means carried over. Whether you are delivering public speech or documentaries, financial reports, or marketing research, it is necessary to communicate with the customer in their native language so that they understand what is said. Breaking the language barrier is very important, and that’s what translation does for you! Quality translation is about transforming the words into their equivalents in different languages. It also takes into consideration the context of the culture from which the original text comes. Appropriate phrases and words are selected in the new language that conveys the precise and accurate meaning according to the new culture.
What is Transcription
As per Merriam Webster, the method of making written typed copies of words or making a printed form of words that are spoken is called transcription. In this era of digitalization, where presentations and documentaries are exchanged over the internet, it is necessary to have documented text format of audio and video files to remove all the communication barriers. It is a very rational way to keep the record and understand what is being said. Transcription is a very demanding job and requires a competent transcriptionist to convert the audio record to a clear text document.
Difference between Transcription and Translation
All the reliable translation companies of the world provide their customers with seamless transcription and translation services. Both processes look similar but the steps involved in both services are different. The transcription services are widely in demand. It is used by interviewers, consultants, lectures, and conferences. The important sectors that require transcription services are media, business, education, civil services, and politics. Let’s have a glance at transcription services first that will show as to how transcription service is different from translation.
- The basis of language can be a speech or sign language. Apart from verbal sources, the transcription content may be in different writing systems.
- In the field of linguistics, transcription is part of the system that uses the processes of sociolinguistics, conversation analysis, dialectology, and phonetics. Transcription is also used in technology that is used in speech.
- Apart from the academic field, transcription as a written form is used in court hearings as a record. Moreover, they are used in witness statements in the recorded form. These recordings are transcribed in written format and are submitted in the court as evidence.
- Medical transcriptions are also very important in the health sciences. It provides recorded voice notes to the physician of the patient’s history. It includes prescription and notice of allergies.
- The written medical report is filed in patients’ records. The medical transcription helps in providing medical care facilities to the customer, no matter in which location he is in.
- Transcription is also required in marketing campaigns to advertise products in foreign lands. The transcription services in audio and video marketing content depict that promotional messages are consistent.
- Transcription is a lengthy process. When the file for transcription is sent to a translation company, the project manager checks in which category your transcription falls. After that, he looks for subject matter experts that have prior knowledge of the required field. He listens and watches the recording and jots it down on paper. If the clients require translation too, then the translation is provided in later stages.
- Usually, the transcribers are competent in one language only.
- Transcriptionists give importance to information. They handle two different types of formats that are recorded format and written format.
- Translation and transcription deal with languages. They both require a competent linguist who is proficient in the concerned languages.
- Transcription deals with one language whereas translation deals with two languages, the source language, and the target language.
- Translators only deal with written content, but sometimes the clients come up with audio and video recording of the source material. If this happens, then the media file needs to be transcribed first and then it needs to be translated.
- The translator should be competent in creative writing so that he can deliver the intended message of the source document.
- The translation is important in bringing the different cultures together and bridging the gap. Translated content helps in targeting the potential market.
- Translation deals with only one format, that is written.
- Translation defines two categories, literary and non-literary. Literary translation deals with the translation of literature like poems, novels, and stories. Non-literary translation deals with technical, legal, and scientific translations of documents.
- The translators should be native speakers so that they can provide impeccable translation services. They should also be aware of cultural, regional nuances, idioms, slang, and idiomatic expression.
Transcription and translation require attention to detail to provide precise and accurate communication of ideas and information. CCJK is a renowned translation company. It has a team of native translators that are subject matter experts who understand the cultural and regional nuances and provide its clients with impeccable translation and transcription services in fast turnaround time. For further details, contact us.
Need a translation service?
Please enter your personal details and we will contact you shortly
Words translated by CCJK146,096,379
Over 95% of our clients recommend our language services to others