Affirmation and Negation-1
As to the expressing way, English and Chinese language have their own special style, regardless of the semantics, vocabulary, grammar, idioms or the rhetoric, so there are much big differences between them. Sometimes, this expressing way could be found in English.
There are negative or related meaning English words which can be expressed the positive or same meaning. And so does the Chinese language. Therefore, we should not be retained the original words meaning when we do the translation. For example:
1. Leave the tap alone. 别动水龙头。
2. All music is alike to the college student. 这位大学生不懂音乐。
3. 他们相识不久就结婚了。 They had not known each other long before they got married.
Above examples shows that the expressing way is affirmative in English, but negative in Chinese. Let us have a look at the opposite examples:
1. Don’t lose time in cleaning the room. 赶快把房间打扫干净。
2. He couldn’t wait to meet you. 他迫不及待地想见你。
3. 他不喜欢上班迟到。 He hates going to work late.
By reading this, we know that the affirmation and negative expressing way is very common during translation. We will use non-negative words to replace those negative words and vise versa. And for those kind of words, the meaning could be expressed correctly, accurately and specific by using the affirmation and negative ways.
1. Pros and Cons translation way
This way was used for those sentence translation that there are no negative words in source language like no, not, none, nothing, nobody, neither, nowhere, hardly, seldom, rarely, little, few and so on, also no suffix with negative meaning such as de-, dis-, im-, in-, ir-, non- and un-, while the translation will be conveyed with negative meaning. And we will use “不，没有，没，非，无，否” to embody the negative meaning.
For some nouns, they have the negative meaning by their own, like failure, worry, doubt, absence… Let us look some examples:
1. Men cannot live in the absence of air and water. 没有空气和水，人就无法生存。
2. She was in ignorance of your plan. 她不知道你们的计划。
3. Tom was extremely sorry for the shortness of time. 汤姆对时间不足感到十分抱歉。
4. For the complicated problem, he was at a loss for words. 面对这一复杂问题，他不知怎么解释才好。
5. We gave her some good advice, but she mad light of it. 我们给她忠告，但她不当一回事。
Also the same with verbs, such as miss, keep, fail, refuse, except, neglect and so on.
1. Time failed me to finish my talk. 时间不允许我把话说完。
2. The explanation lacks details. 这个解释不详细。
3. The value of loss is so small that we can overlook it. 损耗值很小，我们可以忽略不计。
4. Please keep the children from swimming in the sea. 请别让孩子们到海里游泳。
Need a translation service?
Please enter your personal details and we will contact you shortly
Words translated by CCJK146,096,379
Over 95% of our clients recommend our language services to others