strengthen translation awareness and skills
To strengthen our translation awareness and skills, I think the following aspects are involving:
1. A deep, full understanding of the importance of translation, translation of right or wrong, good and bad, which will bring different results, for example “天涯海角”: we should not translate as “the End of the World” (But “Land’s End / End of the Earth”).
2. To be good at in-depth and accurate understanding of the meaning of the original sentences. Since an accurate understanding is the premise of good translation, for example “摸着石头过河”(wade across the stream by feeling the way ), but not “crossing the river by feeling the stones”.
3. Sometimes, the meaning of Chinese words are not the same with the corresponding English words, which cannot be translated literally, Like ”素质教育” not “quality education”，but “caliber-focused education” or “trait-centered education.”
4. Sometimes the Chinese does not fully and literally expressed, maybe part of the information is omitted or hidden. For example: “退耕还林”, not “return farmland to forest”，but “restore “woodland-converted farm-plots” back for afforesting.”
5. As per different occasions，there is formal or informal different expression in English. Such as “禁止吸烟”（No Smoking）、“请勿吸烟”(Thank you for not smoking) The following two group examples contains “formal- normal – informal” three stylistic difference:
Please await instructions before dispatching items.
Please wait for instructions before sending items off.
Don’t send anything off until you’re told to do so.
Essential measures should be undertaken at the earliest opportunity.
One should undertake any necessary measures at the earliest opportunity.
You should do whatever you have to as soon as you can.
6. Pay attention to glossary in different industry. Like“专业签证人员”, We should translate it into “visa officers” as per diplomacy phrase，but not “specialized visa personnel” literally.
7．Note the cultural differences between Chinese and English，like “鱼米之乡”(land of fish and rice)，there is a similar idiom “land of milk and honey”
8. There is great difference in the syntax and sentence structure between Chinese and English. 因此，在进行中译英的时候必须要考虑到这些方面的变化。Therefore we should consider these factors. For example”改革开放开放取得了巨大的成就”, not “The economic reform and the opening-up have made great achievements”. We should consider “巨大的成就” as the subject，change active voice as passive voice, “Great achievements have been made in the economic reform and in our efforts to open-up China to the outside world”.
In summary，we should know what is the essence of translation. To improve our skill, we must cultivate the awareness above, should form multilayer、thinking ways from different point of view.
Words translated by CCJK146,096,379
We are Certified
Over 95% of our clients recommend our language services to others