In China, legal television series concerning the law, lawyer, and court room etc. are not as popular as other TV series, but they are popular among those studying law and legal professionals, especially the American courtroom dramas, one can not only learn some legal knowledge, but also practice listening in English, furthermore, get entertainments. Here I’d like to introduce one legal dramedy which is highly praised among the audiences to you. It is Boston Legal.
Boston Legal is an American legal dramedy aired from October 2004 to December 2008, with five seasons. This dramedy set in the fictional law firm of Crane, Poole and Schmidt in Boston. Two main characters Allen Shore (acted by James Spader, who won the Emmy Awards for outstanding lead actor in a Drama Series in 2005 and 2007 respectively by this series) and Denny Crane (acted by William Shatner). Allen Shore is an excellent lawyer with his overwhelming eloquence, but he is disobedient and does not like to stick to one pattern. Allen’s good friend, Danny Crane is a senior partner who won over 6000 cases and is now suffering Alzheimer’s in the very early stage, but he refuses to admit that he is aging. There is a deep friendship between these two men. They do spa together, do masks together, and even wear in pink in the costume party. In the day, there are wonderful debates in the courtroom, while at night, two men are in the balcony, with whisky in their hands, talking about work, life, and women.
The following are some interesting quotes said by Allen Shore.
1. When Allen Shore showed his admiration to someone, he said,
“Jerry, you know I have a tremendous affection for my own intelligence, and even I think you are smarter than me.”
2. An arrogant accused said that he had been charged for several times, but never lost the lawsuit. But Allen said,
“You know what they say, you never forget your first time.”
3. The opposing counsel offered a generous condition in the settlement, but Allen refused it. The opposing counsel thought that Allen was only kidding. Allen said,
“No, I’m much funnier when I’m kidding.”
4. Allen Shore: Let me tell you three things about myself. I too am a lawyer, I can be painfully vindictive, and I do not play fair.
Lester Tremont: That’s three things.
Allen Shore: See? Not playing fair already. And I’m just getting started.
5. In the court room, Allen Shore raised objection on such ground.
Judge: First of all, we don’t even know that.
Allen Shore: Objection, your honor! You can’t preface your second point with “first of all”.
Boston Legal is a very classic American dramedy. If you are interested in law, you might as well watch it. Hope you will like it.