As we know, vocabulary contains two different national English-Chinese customs and habits, therefore sometimes the meaning of some vocabulary is difficult to deal with, just rely on the meaning of dictionary is not enough, sometime we are even difficult to find the appropriate Chinese word. If we translate, which will make the translation meaning obscure, was not accurately express the original meaning, or even cause misunderstanding. Hereby we should flexibly, depending on the context, understand from the context of the sentence and the logical relationship further consider the connotations of the word, according to the basic meaning of the word, associative meaning,
Here we need pay attention to some tips:
I. The extension meaning of verb
Example: Millet made a portrait of lady Chesterfield, which flattered her. [/en]
Here “flatter” doesn’t mean “to praise too much” but “to make better looking than the reality”
Example: The explorers worked their way up the mountain.
Here “work one`s way up” is the meaning “to make one`s (or its) way up to” or “to move slowly and with difficulty” but not “to work”.
II. The extension meaning of noun
1. She can speak Esperanto after a fashion.
The phrase “after a fashion” cannot understand as “come into fashion or be in fashion” and “after a fashion” should understand as “not very well or a little”.
2. Sometimes an informal program will be organized after the meal, with dances, songs, or short talks followed by a question period.
Here “program” cannot understand as “broadcast item”(eg, a play, discussion or documentary).
3. If we want your two cents, we`ll ask for it.
Here “cent” is not “one 100th part of a US dollar”, but “opinions or advice”.
III. The extension meaning of adjective
1. His skills in use of colours was so great that some who viewed the paintings he created said that they were more true to life than life itself.
“great” cannot understand as “of remarkable ability or quality”, but “skillful at”.
2. I can`t even talk about it, except to you, because anybody else would think I was yellow.
“yellow” cannot translate as “of the colour of ripe lemons, egg yolks or gold”, but “cowardly”.
3. Conditions seem moderate by western standards, but compared with those existing in China a little over thirty years ago, the change is dramatic.
“Dramatic” here has the extensive meaning “unexpected”.
IV. The extension meaning of adjective
1. The doctor said to me , “That patient may die of cancer, for all I care.”
Here “for all I care” should understand as “possibly”.
2. The engineer was taken ill with consumption. It was flour on the lungs, the doctor told him at the time.
Here “on” should understand as “effect”.
The extension translation cannot be disengaged from the context of the sentence, no matter specific translation or abstraction translation, which are all in order to eliminate and reduce the language differences, to make the translation have the same effect with the original. Therefore, only to grope in a long-term practice of translation, we can reach a higher level.